Wednesday 8 March 2017

Comic Relief Day


For my non-UK blogger friends, I must explain that we have two major charity events each year - Comic Relief in March and Children in Need in November. Millions of pounds are raised at each event and there is massive TV coverage and fund raising events in nearly every city, town and village.

This year, Comic Relief is on Friday, March 24th and, much to my surprise, my office is taking part. My organisation is usually strict on corporate image and we have to wear smart white blouses and black jackets, skirts or trousers every day. However on this one day we are all taking part in a "dress down day" and putting a donation into the charity bucket for the privilege. We are also selling Red Nose Day cakes from our foyer. These are simple sponge cakes with white icing and a single cheery on top.

The "dress down day" will involve us wearing casual shirts or tunics (no problem) and jeans. The jeans will cause me a headache as regular readers of my blog will realise that I must be one of the few women of my age group who does not own a pair of jeans. 

I have never owned a pair of jeans. The nearest I have got was trying on a pair in a shop in 2015 when my best friend Lisa was attempting to persuade me to buy a pair. The post is here Jeans shop I found them very clingy and uncomfortable around my legs and bottom and they drew attention far too much to the shape of my body. I am also not that keen on the image of denim.

Since 2015, I have relented in the case of my daughter, Hannah, and she now has several pairs of jeans which she wears at weekends. I didn't want her to be different from her friends who all wear jeans but Hannah's are straight jeans rather than skinnies and do not cling around her bottom and they certainly aren't the distressed variety!

I have not decided what to do yet for Comic Relief Day. Chickening out and taking the day off is not an option as I have no leave yet in this leave year which ends on 31st March and we are having a busy period in the office anyway.

I would welcome your thoughts. Am I the only non-jean wearing woman that exists? Should I grit my teeth and buy a cheap pair just for the day?

Comments please!




13 comments:

  1. What an interesting national event! :) Hmmm...if I were in your position and didn't have/like jeans I would either wear my most casual non-jean pants or make a shopping trip for a pair I felt comfortable in, if just for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paige - I might pluck up courage and buy a cheap pair for the day - no luck in finding a secondhand pair that fits yet!

      Delete
    2. Uhoh! That's the hard part.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are able to enjoy your dress down day... sounds like it is for a good cause. I like to dress up, but I don't know what I would do without my jeans!!! They are so good for so many activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love supporting good causes so will come to some sort of compromise I am sure

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous charity event! I think since your blog name is Rebecca Tries Trousers...in the name of charity...just for one day...you should be Rebecca Tries Jeans! But go cheap if you don't intend on wearing them much! And remember that great things can happen outside of our comfort zones! Good luck. Thanks for joining my #SpreadTheKindness Link Up.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelbee - I will do a post on what happens!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I don't know how I would live without jeans!!! I wear them all the time! Such a great cause and dressing down sounds fun...maybe you could go with leggings instead of jeans??? Just an idea :). Thanks for sharing with us at On Mondays We Link-Up :)

    Sarah
    Trendy & Tidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - leggings might be a possibility!

      Delete
  5. I am with you about jeans:they definitely aren't comfortable! But last year I found a pair made from linen and so ... really comfortable indeed!
    P.s.
    If jeans cause you headache you shouldn't wear them. I think that a pair of blue trousers will be OK...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan - you were lucky to find a linen pair. I think it is the denim which puts me off

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you can find some from a charity shop, so you won't have to spend loads of money AND you'd give to charity!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kati - I have been searching but I have not found any which fit properly yet. I will do a post on what I decide to wear on the day.

      Delete